Another such community is Climax Springs in Camden County, Missouri. It was founded in 1882 as merely "Climax." The "Springs" part was added in 1886 by a group of businessmen who decided to promote the healing waters of the area's many mineral springs. Although Climax Springs never enjoyed the popularity of some of the other mineral-water towns in the Ozarks, the 1889 Camden County history declared that it was "a romantic and pleasant village in which to live" and claimed that "as a health resort it is probably not excelled."
Today Climax Springs sports a population of only 100 people or so, but the town and the surrounding area still prosper enough to support a high school.
Labels: Climax Springs