Ozarks History

Information and comments about historical people and events of the Ozarks region and surrounding area.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missouri

I'm a freelance writer specializing in the history of the Ozarks and surrounding region. I've written eleven nonfiction books, two novels, and numerous articles. My latest books are Wicked Springfield: The Seamy Side of the Queen City, Murder and Mayhem in Missouri, and The Siege of Lexington, Missouri: the Battle of the Hemp Bales.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Laclede County Rural Schools

Last time I listed a number of rural schools from the Greene County area that were present on a 1940s topographic map but that have long been gone. I have a similar map showing the southeastern part of Laclede County and a small chunk of western Pulaski County, and it, too, shows a whole slew of rural schools that no longer exist. The ones in Pulaski County are Prospect School, Fairview School, Cave Spring School, and Bellefonte School. The Laclede County schools listed on the map are Prairie Creek, Similin, Rippy, Crossroads, Stockdale, Brownfield, Mt. Salem, Oakland, Nurse, Simpson, Morehouse, Nelson, Harmony, Heard, Barnett, Delto, Franklin, Fairview (not to be confused with the school by the same name in Pulaski), and Success (not to be confused with the Success School in nearby Texas County, which, the last I knew, was still in existence. As far as I know, all of these small, rural schools in Pulaski and Laclede no longer exist. Again, if anybody out there attended one of these schools or knows anything about any of them, I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger JLong66 said...

I was looking through some old family photos and found one that was of Fairview School. It was a group picture that included my grandparents and was dated 1898. I don't know for sure, but suspect it was Laclede County, as my relatives were from around Morgan and Lebanon. If you are interested, I could scan the photo and send to you.

February 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM  
Blogger Larry Wood said...

I would be interesting in seeing it only if you thought it might be the Fairview School in Pulaski County, because I think some of my ancestors might have gone there. If you're pretty sure it's the Fairview School in Laclede County, I'm probably not interested enough for you to go to the trouble.

March 28, 2012 at 6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are the Prairie Creek or Rippy schools a few miles south of Hazelgreen? Just curious. I know where the Rippy Cemetery is but never saw the remains of any structures that looked like a school.

September 2, 2013 at 10:19 AM  
Blogger Larry Wood said...

The Prairie Creek School was just a few miles south of Hazelgreen on or near Prairie Creek (not far from Pulaski County line). Rippy School was a few miles southwest of Prairie Creek School near Abo except that Abo is on the east side of Osage Fork River and Rippy School was on the west side.

September 2, 2013 at 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

hit counter
web hosting providers