Saturday, September 5, 2026

Aldrich, Missouri

Aldrich is a small village located on Highway 123 about 15 miles southwest of Bolivar or about 35 miles northwest of Springfield. The town was platted in 1885 when a railroad was built through the area, and it was named for a railroad official named Aldrich. It got a post office in 1886. The Aldrich United Methodist Church, founded in 1888, is still in existence today. 

Aldrich grew rapidly, reaching a population estimated at near 400 people in the 1890s, and it continued to flourish for the next few decades. In 1912, when a Springfield newspaperman visited the community, he estimated Aldrich's population at about 300, although it was likely somewhat less than that. 

At the time of the reporter's visit, Aldrich had two churches, a school, and an Odd Fellows lodge. Businesses included the Bank of Aldrich, a realty company, a poultry business, a lumber and grain company, two grocery stores, a dry goods store, a hardware/farm implement store, and a combination jeweler/optician. 

Aldrich experienced moderate growth during the next couple of decades but then began to decline after 1930. For the past 70 years or more, its population has held fairly steady between 53 and 80 residents. Despite its small population, Aldrich is still an incorporated village with town meetings and elected officials.   


 

No comments:

Aldrich, Missouri

Aldrich is a small village located on Highway 123 about 15 miles southwest of Bolivar or about 35 miles northwest of Springfield. The town w...